Very good apple cake! I’ve been making it for years!
Ingredients ( serving 12 )
- 2 cups apples – peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt or tube pan. In a medium bowl, combine the diced apples, 1 tablespoon white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups white sugar, oil, orange juice, vanilla and eggs. Beat at high speed until smooth. Stir in flour mixture. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the apple mixture. Alternate layers of batter and filling, ending with batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.